Our Commitment to Customer Privacy
Virgin Money Credit Card is supported by Absa Bank Limited, Registration Number 1986/004794/06 ("Absa"), is committed to maintaining the privacy and security of its customers' personal and private information ("customer information") submitted to Absa via the www.virginmoneycard.co.za website ("the/this website"). This privacy and security policy ("this policy") outlines Absa's practices and commitment to the customer in this regard.
Absa knows that you expect a high level of privacy and security for the personal information that you have shared or intend sharing with us. This privacy notice is designed to inform you of the types of information we collect from our customers, how we use that information, and the circumstances under which we will share it with third parties. By visiting virginmoneycard.co.za and supplying us with your information, you are accepting the practices described within this Privacy Notice.
Absa is strongly committed to ensuring that the personal information you provide to us is treated securely and responsibly. We appreciate the fact that you are aware of your rights as an individual relating to personal information and thus will not act in a manner that would potentially lead to negative impacts on your financial well-being.
Choice and Consent of the customer
The decision to provide Absa with certain customer information via our website is always up to the customer. It should however be noted that in financial dealings, withholding certain information may limit the services Absa is able to offer the customer.
Absa will not collect or use customer information without obtaining the customer's consent. In instances where Absa does purchase information from information providers, Absa will ensure that the third party has obtained valid consent before concluding the purchase. In respect of all marketing activities related to Absa services or products, consent to collect or use your information will be obtained from you, the customer. Should the customer choose to not provide consent, then consent will be implied (e.g. if the customer is given an opportunity to opt out of a specific form of information sharing, but choose not to do so, it implies that the customer chooses to share this information).
It is important to note that where customer information is provided for marketing services, it is only done so with your consent as described above. In addition, third parties chosen by any member within the Absa Group are taken through strict due diligence processes in order to ensure that the customer information is handled securely.
The type of customer information the customer will be asked to provide will vary according to the product or services required.
Internal information sharing:
Absa is made up of a number of different business units, that all collect information independently from Absa customers. By sharing information about a customer's accounts among different business units, Absa can serve the customer more efficiently.
External information sharing:
Other companies routinely contact Absa for credit and financial information about customers. Absa will, however, only share customer information in the instances where disclosure is made at the customer's request or with the customer's consent.
Absa is however obliged to disclosure information relating to regulatory and legal purposes, without consent.
What customer information is collected?
Depending on the Absa products and services which you subscribe to, the information requirements would vary. Customer information in general refers to personal information submitted to Absa via the website that identifies or relates to an online visitor or customer, whether they are an individual or a business. This information includes but is not limited to details such as name, age, ID numbers, registration numbers, addresses and other contact details, liabilities, income and payments records, financial information and banking details such as account numbers.
Maintenance of accurate information
Absa has established procedures designed to ensure that your non-public personal information is as accurate and complete as possible, in accordance with reasonable standards. If you believe that our records contain inaccurate or incomplete information about you, please notify us via our contact centres in order to make the necessary amendments. Some changes will only be made once the necessary supporting documentation has been obtained. We will take reasonable steps to investigate your concerns and correct inaccurate information in a timely manner.
Why does Absa collect customer information?
Absa uses customer information to identify the customer and to offer a better online service. Customer information is also necessary to enable Absa to contact the customer in the event of any query. Absa further uses customer information to bring to the customer's attention details of Absa's other services and products. The more we know about you, the better we can serve you.
How does Absa safeguard your information?
Keeping your financial information secure is one of Absa's most important responsibilities. This policy governs the behaviour of employees with regard to accuracy, confidentiality and security of all customer information.
The sharing of customer information
The only instances in which Absa is permitted to disclose customer information is when it is:
Required by law
- This most often relates to government tax reporting requirements or in terms of a court order or if required in terms of legislation or in accordance with the common law. Absa will, however, in all instances required by law, only disclose the information specifically requested.
Necessary to protect Absa's interest
- This will not be used as a reason for disclosing information about a customer or a customer's accounts (including name and address) to anyone else, including other companies in the Absa Group for marketing purposes. However, basic procedures that protect Absa's interests sometimes lead to the disclosure of specific customer information to third parties for example, returning a cheque due to insufficient funds in an account.
In the public interest
- Sometimes Absa is asked to disclose customer information for matters of public interest, e.g. to assist in the prevention of crimes. Before complying with these requests, Absa takes every precaution to ensure the authorities involved have legitimate grounds to make such a request.
Credit reference agencies
- Information about a customer's personal debt owed to Absa may be disclosed to credit reference agencies, where the customer has fallen behind with payments and has not made proposals satisfactory to Absa for repayment of debt following formal demand or where the customer has given Absa written consent or where the customer has a cheque referred to drawer, the information is placed on a cheque verification service.
Right to Amend this Privacy Statement
Absa reserves the right to amend this policy at any time. All amendments to this policy will be posted on the website. Unless otherwise stated, the current version shall supersede and replace all previous versions of this policy.
Privacy statements applying to specific services
Absa business units or subsidiaries may have their own privacy policies because the nature of the service or products demands a deviation from this policy. These specific policies will apply to and exclusively govern the customer's use of the particular service or product.
Except as outlined in the section dealing with "Sharing Customer Information", Absa will never sell customer information to any other external party. It is important to note that where customer information is provided for marketing services, it is only done so with your consent as described above. In addition, third parties chosen by any member within the Absa Group are taken through strict due diligence processes in order to ensure that the customer information is handled securely.
Absa may use customer information to send the customer information on new services or products that may be of interest to the customer and from time to time will mail, e-mail or SMS information to the customer about Absa, Absa products and services or on the Absa Group and its products or services.
Remember, regular non-encrypted e-mail is not secure. For this reason Absa will not include confidential account information in an e-mail response.
Absa will further never request the customer, via the use of e-mail, to provide Absa with personal information, such as your account number; PIN or password, etc.
Help contribute to the protection of your information
The customer can also help maintain the security of banking information by:
- Not sharing the customer's ID or password with anyone
- Changing the customer's password regularly
- Remembering to sign off after an online banking session
- Not leaving the customer's computer unattended while conducting online transactions
- Reporting lost or stolen cards
- Helping Absa maintain accurate records by letting Absa know when changes occur in the customer's situation so Absa can update its records accordingly
- Not sending any confidential information via non-encrypted e-mail
- Not supplying the customer's personal and financial information to any site he/she doesn't know or trust
Virgin Money Credit Card Customer Care
0861 822 273